We have put together the ultimate travel bucket list to spark your imagination. Dave and I made a dream list of our travel bucket list travels way back in 2006. And we fulfilled every travel adventure we ever dreamed of. Now we want to help your dreams come true and share the best bucket list travels that we’ve ever done.
These are 52 destinations that you need to do at least once in your lifetime. We’ve got one idea for every week of the year! You may also like The Best Adventure Destinations For The Ultimate Vacations
Travel Bucket List Ideas
So, let’s look at the most mind-blowing beautiful places in the world. Oh, by the way, these are bucket list travels that we’ve done ourselves. It’s not a Google search like so many things on the internet these days.
1. Iguazu Falls
There was something magical about staying right in the heart of Iguazú National Park at the Belmont Hotel Das Cataratas. Having this natural wonder all to ourselves in the early morning was like a fairytale. We walked from our hotel to the long platform leading to the center of the massive cascade surrounded by thundering waters.
For a bucket list experience, this was spectacular. Be sure to take a helicopter tour over the falls and hop on a jet boat to get soaked. They seriously put the boat right underneath the waterfall. If there is one item on your travel bucket list. This should be it!
- Read more about Iguazu Falls
- Getting Soaked – The Ultimate Iguazu Falls Tour
- 11 Fun and Unexpected Things to do in Iguassu Falls
2. Amalfi Coast
We thought we had seen the beauty of Italy when visiting the Cinque Terre, but the Amalfi Coast is the Cinque Terre on steroids. The beautiful coastal towns along the Gulf of Salerno took our breath away at every turn. Rent a car and drive this famous highway that clings to the side of sea cliffs. There is nothing more romantic than driving the towns of Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, and Sorrento. Make sure to splurge on a room overlooking the terraced buildings of Positano and its beach.
- Is Amalfi Coast on your Bucket list?
- The Best Things to Do in Amalfi Coast, Italy
- 10 Most Romantic Italian Coastal Towns for Couples
- Watch our Amalfi Coast Video
- Hiking Cinque Terre – The Beautiful Five Villages in Italy
Staying in an over-the-water bungalow in Bora Bora or Tahiti is on everyone’s travel bucket list. But we did this in The Maldives and I cannot think of a place that is more beautiful in the world. The turquoise waters surrounded our bungalow complete with a glass floor so we could watch the fish swim by was superb. I don’t think I have seen such white sand beaches anywhere on earth.
- For more Maldives information
- 15 of The Best Things to do in the Maldives
- Scuba Diving in Maldives – A Beginner’s Journey
- Best of the Maldives Video – On YouTube
- Snorkeling in the Maldives
4. Petra Jordan
By the time we made it to Petra Jordan, we had seen a lot of famous ancient cities with our own eyes. We expected to like it, but we didn’t expect to be wowed by it. Boy were we wrong! Petra is in a league unto itself. The hidden city of Petra is located within a 1.2 km rock passage reaching 80 meters into the air. Once you arrive at The Petra Treasury you are treated to an awe-inspiring scene. A massive building complete with columns is carved into the stone.
- Watch our visit to Petra on YouTube
5. African Safari
There is nothing more magical than an African Safari. We’ve been lucky to go on Safari in Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa, and Botswana. And trust me, it never gets old. Seeing the majestic lion stalk its prey and watching a herd of elephants walking through the African savanna is a scene that is forever etched into our brains. There is something special about visiting Africa. As the saying goes “I left my heart in Africa” and every time we leave the continent we feel the same way.
- African Safari Animals: 34 Photos to make you want to visit Tanzania
- What to Wear on Safari – Africa Travel Inside and Out
- Kenya Safari – The Masai Mara Experience
6. Churchill Polar Bears
Speaking of safaris, have you ever thought of a safari in Canada? I don’t think there was anything more awe-inspiring than seeing polar bears in the wild. It is even more of a bucket list ticket to be able to walk with polar bears. Going up to the arctic tundra in summer is not only unique, but it is also a chance to see polar bears in a different environment than in snow. We visited the Polar Bears twice with Churchill Wild. Once in the winter and once in the summer.
- See all about our experiences in Churchill
- Walking with Polar Bears – The Greatest Arctic Safari
- Kayaking with Beluga Whales – A Paddlers Dream
- The Ultimate Arctic Safari on YouTube
7. Santorini Greece
We had seen Santorini in the yogurt ads for years and dreamed of one day visiting. Once we arrived, we understood why it has been featured in so many commercials. When we looked over the cliffs of the caldera, the views didn’t seem real. Whitewashed buildings with blue domes lined the high cliffs of the caldera. Staying in a cave hotel overlooking the Aegean Sea was the ultimate dream.
- 25 of The Very Best Things to do in Santorini
- Where to Stay in Santorini
- Places to Visit in Santorini, Greece
- A Photography Guide to Santorini – Getting that Postcard Shot
- Iconic Santorini: A Cave Hotel Experience
8. Kayak and Camp in Antarctica
If you haven’t noticed on our blog, a lot of our bucket list adventures have been in cold regions. And Antarctica truly tops the list. We were lucky enough to visit Antarctica with Quark Expeditions where we fulfilled every travel dream. From camping on Antarctica to kayaking around icebergs, Antarctica was an adventure lover’s travel dream.
- 11 of the Best Things to do in Antarctica
- Sea Kayak Antarctica – The Adventure of a Lifetime
- Camping on Antarctica
- See our complete Antarctica Expedition on YouTube
9. Trek to Mount Everest Base Camp
Staying in the cold weather for a moment, the ultimate bucket list adventure is to trek to Everest Base Camp. When we can all travel again, this is something anyone can do regardless of climbing skills Follow the footsteps of Sir Edmond Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa to see the Khumbu Ice Fall, Everest Base Camp, The Tengboche Monastery, and Mighty Mount Everest herself. Secure the ultimate bragging rights among your friends and trek to Everest. Our friend Dipendra at SimRik Real Nepal Treks is waiting for you.
- Read all about this bucket list adventure
- Everest Base Camp Trek – All You Need to Know from Start to Finish
- Remarkable Everest Base Camp Trek in Photos
- Flight to Lukla – A Scary Thrill Ride to Everest
- See our Full Everest Playlist on YouTube
10. Cappadocia, Turkey
Nearly everyone is familiar with the famous scene of balloons soaring through the air above fairy chimneys. Turkey’s Cappadocia really does feel like a fairytale. This had been our bucket list since seeing dozens of balloons in the air on Instagram nearly a decade ago. A morning hot air balloon ride fulfills the ultimate travel dream list.
- Check out more of Cappadocia – The ultimate bucket list destination
- Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon: How to Choose the Right Company
- A Tour of a Cave Hotel on YouTube
- The Incredible Landscape of Cappadocia on YouTube
11. Himalayas of Bhutan
Bhutan is the happiest country in the world and you can’t help but fall in love with the people and landscape when you visit this bucket list destination. Trekking through the Himalayas is an incredible journey but hiking to Tiger’s Nest Monastery in the Paro Valley is what draws people to the country. This iconic scene doesn’t disappoint.
- If this is on your bucket list, read more here
- 18 Things to do in Bhutan – A Comprehensive Guide of What Not to Miss
- Bhutan Trek to Laya – A Himalayan Adventure to the Remarkable and Remote
- Watch our trek to Tiger’s Nest Monastery on YouTube
- And see what happened when we met the King of Bhutan
12. Great Wall of China
We have visited the Great Wall of China twice. And it lives up to everything we ever expected. Looking at this marvel of engineering truly did inspire wonder and awe. No wonder it is listed as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World. We loved visiting both the Mutianyu and Badaling Great Wall, they were equally beautiful yet very different experiences.
- Read all about our visit to the Great Walls
- The Great Wall of China – Mutianyu vs. Badaling
13. Machu Picchu
Speaking of the New Seven Wonders of the World, Machu Picchu is another beautiful destination to add to your bucket lists. Hiking the Inca Trail is on many people’s adventure bucket list, but even seeing this extraordinary Inca City will take your breath away. Literally. Located in the Andes Mountains at 2,430 meters/7,972 feet in elevations, it is a wonder to see.
- Machu Picchu Hike: All You Need To Know To Be Perfectly Prepared
- How to Plan a Trip to Machu Picchu
14. Great Barrier Reef
The UNESCO World Heritage Site off the coast of Australia is the largest coral reef in the world. It tops many a traveler’s bucket list. Even if scuba diving or snorkeling isn’t your thing, it is a must-visit. There are many ways to see the Great Barrier Reef. You can take a helicopter ride over the reef or even take a boat out to a platform in the middle of the sea to let you swim, snorkel, and sunbathe in the middle of this beautiful piece of ocean.
- Read More:
- Diving the Great Barrier Reef – Australia’s Ultimate Adventure
15. Pyramids of Giza
We had always wanted to see the Great Pyramids of Giza with our own eyes. We didn’t know what to expect, but when we first spotted them they seemed surreal. They cut through the haze of Cairo standing the desert looking like a mirage. We have had the privilege of visiting them twice and can say that for a fun way to explore them, hire a camel to take you through the pyramid complex to feel like a true Bedouin.
- Read More:
- The Red Pyramid of Egypt – Experience it Inside and Out
- 10 Amazing Temples of Egypt – That We’ve Seen
16. Gobi Desert of Mongolia
We are always fascinated by deserts, but there was something truly unique and spectacular about Mongolia’s Gobi Desert. It is filled with life. From the herds of Bactrian camels (two-humped camels) to the nomadic people of Mongolia moving their Ghers from camp to camp that was always something to see. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Read more at Mongolia Pictures from the Russian Border to the Gobi Desert
17. Galapagos Islands
The Galapagos Islands are a group of islands off the coast of Ecuador that have their very own ecosystem. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is the most biodiverse of destinations on earth. AND 97% of the Galapagos is a national park. The top draw to the Galapagos is to see its endemic species that are unique to the islands. From the Galapagos giant tortoise, marine iguanas, and the Galapagos penguin, the wildlife experiences.
- Enjoy more:
- 27 photos that will transport you to the Galápagos Islands
- Playing With Sea Lions on San Isabella in the Galapagos
18. Mount Kilimanjaro
If there is one mountain to climb in your lifetime it is Mount Kilimanjaro, The Roof of Africa. Kilimanjaro National park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site housing the highest point in Africa. The six to seven-day climb is part of the seven summits and is a spectacular bucket list vacation. So don’t wait to start planning your climb up the highest freestanding mountain on earth.
- Read more: Complete Guide to Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro
19. Bagan, Myanmar
A visit to Myanmar is a trip we’ll never forget. Bagan was the highlight of our travels through the country. Taking an early morning ferry along the Irrawaddy River from Mandalay, we emerged at the most extraordinary complex of temples we had ever seen. Built in 1057 and covering 16 square miles Bagan houses 2200 pagodas. It looks like a massive forest of temples that you must see with your own eyes.
- Read More – The Incredible Temples of Bagan, Myanmar
20. See the Northern Lights
Have you ever wanted to witness the dazzling display of the Aurora Borealis? Once you see the Northern Lights dancing in the night sky, it doesn’t seem real at first. Are your eyes playing tricks on you? Iceland is one of the best places in the world to see the Northern Lights. We didn’t have good luck there but have witnessed them several times in Canada and in Greenland.
- Incredible Greenland – The Final Frontier for Adventure Travel
21. Mexico Cenotes
For scuba divers’ the Cenotes of Mexico are a top bucket list diving adventure. But you can tour many cenotes without diving. The Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico has several adventures where you can rappel, snorkel, and paddle through Cenotes. But it was the Rio Secreto Cenote that was truly extraordinary.
- Rio Secreto Cenote – Mexico’s Magical Underground Caves
- Cenotes in Photos – Discover Mexico’s Extraordinary Underground Caves
22. Rome’s Colosseum
The city of Rome is like no other. It is packed with ancient ruins and none as famous as the Colosseum. We had the good fortune of staying directly across the street from the Colosseum with a view of the amphitheater from our room. You think that you know everything about the Colosseum, but nothing can prepare you for seeing it for the first time.
- 22 of the Best Things to do in Rome
- 20 of the Best Free Things to do in Rome
- 3 Days in Rome – The Ultimate Rome Itinerary
23. Christ the Redeemer – Brazil
Rio de Janeiro is one of the most beautiful cities on earth and Christ the Redeemer stands proudly over the city keeping watch. Seeing “Christo Redentor” standing with arms outstretched at the top of Corcovado Mountain is on many bucket list travelers list. You can see it by hiking up the mountain, taking the train, or a scenic bus ride but nothing compares to flying around it by helicopter.
- The Top 18 Most Excellent Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
24. Ha Long Bay – Vietnam
Vietnam’s Ha Long Bay is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that needs to be seen to truly be appreciated. 1600 towering limestone islands reach up from the emerald waters of Halong Bay. What makes the bay even more picturesque are the junk boats that take tourists to explore the many islands and caves.
- Halong Bay or Bai Tu Long Bay – How to Choose Your Cruise?
- The Very Best Things to do in Vietnam from North to South
25. Have Champagne at the Eiffel Tower – France
Paris is the city of love and we never tire of seeing the Eiffel Tower. Seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkle in the city of lights is such a romantic scene, but you must go up the Eiffel Tower. And did you know you can have a glass of champagne? Celebrate a milestone, get engaged or just enjoy a toast as you take in the Parisian skyline.
- Where To Stay In Paris – The Best Neighborhoods in Paris
- 3 Days in Paris: The Best Paris Itinerary for Your First Visit
26. Helicopter Tour of Victoria Falls – Zambia
We happen to live one hour away from Niagara Falls in Canada and we do love that city and the iconic Canadian cascade. So when we had the chance to visit Victoria Falls in Zambia we were very excited. The Falls That Thunder is located in the center of Mosi Oa Tunya National Park and is the largest waterfall in the world. The setting is completely different than Niagara Falls as it is surrounded by jungle. At a Whopping 1.7 km wide (1 mile) it is massive, and the way to take in the scope of Victoria Falls is to get up in the air.
- Incredible Things to Do in Victoria Falls, Zambia
27. Soak in the Blue Lagoon – Iceland
Sure, the Blue Lagoon of Iceland is overcrowded these days, but no trip to “The Land of Fire and Ice” would be complete without stopping to soak in its healing waters. It tops many a traveler’s bucket list, especially after National Geographic named it one of the top 25 Natural Wonders of the World.
- How to Visit The Blue Lagoon in Iceland
- Best Places To Visit In Iceland
28. Explore the Canals of Venice – Italy
We truly fell in love with Venice. Staying in the city for four days allowed us to get off the beaten path to explore more of the quiet corners of the floating city. Not bucket-list travels would be complete without adding Venice to your list. While a gondola tops many bucket lists, it was the private taxi tour that we found to be far more romantic. Riding through the Grand Canal in style viewing scenery made us feel like movie stars.
- 3 Days in Venice – The Complete Venice Itinerary
- Where to Stay in Venice – The Best Neighborhoods and Hotels for Every Budget
29. Spy the Sun Stream at Antelope Canyon – USA
It is one of the most recognizable caves in the world. But where is it? Antelope Canyon in Page, Arizona is located in the United States. Once a day a gorgeous waterfall of light seeps through tiny openings lighting up the layers of sandstone in this famous slot canyon. Read: The 17 Best Hikes in Arizona
- Antelope Canyon Photo Tours – How to Make the most of it
30. Hike Through Meteora – Greece
Santorini may be the luxury escape of Greece, but the Monasteries of Meteora are the wonders of Greece. Sitting at the top of massive rock monoliths reaching up to 500 meters (1500 feet) from the valley floor, ancient monasteries dot the landscape. Dating back to the 9th century, the Meteora Monasteries can be visited today by hiking to the top, walking across bridges, or simply taking in the view from one of the many lookouts.
- Meteora Monasteries of Greece – Magic Monoliths in Photos
- The Best Places to Visit in Greece
31. Giant’s Causeway – Northern Ireland
A visit to the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland will make you believe in giants. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is Northern Ireland’s most famous attraction and tops many a travel bucket list. To see the perfectly arranged basalt pillars leading out to sea makes you believe that a giant built a causeway to Scotland rather than a volcanic eruption some 60 million years ago.
- The Legend of the Giant’s Causeway – Do You Believe?
32. Leaning Tower of Pisa – Italy
We didn’t know if we’d be in awe of the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa, but seeing it in person did indeed live up to the hype. Pisa alone is worth visiting. This picturesque city located on the Arno River is filled with history dating back to the 14th century.
- The Leaning Tower of Pisa – Is It Worth The Visit?
33. Stand in the Center of Times Square – New York
Standing in the center of Times Square in New York fills you with energy and excitement. New York is certainly one of the most exciting cities in the world, and while Times Square is filled with tourists, its with good reason. You feel as if you are in the center of the universe as massive LED screens surround the entire square.
- Best Things to Do in New York City
- Where to Stay in New York City – Top Places and Hotels For All Budgets
- Fun Facts About New York
34. Go to the Top of the Burj Khalifa – Dubai
It’s the tallest building in the world sitting amongst several other massive skyscrapers. Dubai is out of this world. With each impressive structure built, there are four more in the works. Going to the top of the Burj Khalifa to see the most impressive skyline on earth is the definitive bucket list item.
- 17 Fabulous and Fun Things to do in Dubai
35. Go Sandboarding in Huacachina – Peru
I never expected sand dunes in Peru to be so massive. When we booked a bus ticket to Huacachina in Peru, we thought we’d be sitting in a tiny oasis, but instead, we were surrounded by the largest sand dunes we’ve ever seen. The way to explore them is to take a dune buggy tour or to hop on a sandboard and glide down them. You’ll be covered in sand, but what a hoot and it is something you must try at least once in your life.
- 24 Best Things to do in Peru
36. Cross the Shibuya Scramble in Tokyo
Until you’ve seen Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo with your own eyes, it’s difficult to comprehend the number of people that take this crossing every few minutes each day. A quarter-million people cross this intersection each day. The best way to see this bucket list item is to go to the top of Magnet’s Mag 7 from the glassed-in viewing area.
- Awesome Things to do in Tokyo, Japan
- Best Day Trips from Tokyo
37. Golden Temple – India
The Taj Mahal may top everyone’s bucket list, but we found the Golden Temple of Amritsar to be a more authentic experience. Don’t get me wrong, the Taj Mahal is a wonder to see, but the Golden Temple is a beautiful display that is still a working temple. Join one hundred thousand pilgrims each day as they pay their respects to Sikkhism’s most holy site.
- Golden Temple of Amritsar – India’s Shining Star
38. Road trip to the Grand Canyon
I must admit I wasn’t expecting much from the Grand Canyon, but during our road trip through California and Arizona we popped into the Grand Canyon and I was taken aback by its beauty and sheer size. The Grand Canyon is on everyone’s American travel bucket list and it is spectacular. The Colorado River cuts through the 466 km long (277 mile) Colorado Plateau canyon of the Colorado Plateau and let me tell you, a pop in won’t do it justice. you must get out and explore the beauty of America’s natural wonder.
- 15 Fun Facts That You Need to Know About the Grand Canyon
- The Absolute Best Things to do in The Grand Canyon
- United States National Parks in Photos
39. Amazon River – Peru
The mighty Amazon River is the largest river by water volume in the world and it is the land of legends. It still feels as if much of the Amazon River Basin has yet to be explored. When you set out on a river cruise through the Amazon, you can almost feel what it was like to be an early exploring cutting their way through the largest jungle on earth.
- What to Expect on an Amazon River Cruise – Life on the River
40. Marvel at the Glaciers of Greenland
Glaciers are melting fast on this planet and nowhere on earth is it more prevalent than in Greenland. Visit the world’s most active calving glacier in Ilulissat and sail through a sea of floating skyscrapers of ice. Icebergs dwarfed our ship as we explored the west coast of Greenland on this truly magnificent bucket list adventure.
- Kayaking in Greenland – The Greatest Arctic Adventure in Photos
41.Swim with Whale Sharks
There is something truly magical about swimming with whale sharks. While it might be a frenzy of tourists beaming with excitement below is calm and quiet. To see these gentle giants glide effortlessly through the sea is the ultimate bucket list travel experience. There are many places to swim with whale sharks around the world, most notably off the coast of Cancun Mexico, and in the Philippines.
- Swimming with Whale Sharks Cancun – A Massive Adventure
42. Hornblower at Niagara Falls
Okay, we cannot forget to include going into the center of Horseshoe Falls in Niagara, Ontario. We have always taken this bucket list adventure for granted because we live so close to Niagara Falls, but when you go on the Hornblower, it truly is a spectacular scene. Feel the power of one of the world’s largest waterfalls as you sit at the bottom of the plunging waters. It is so powerful that everyone gets a rain poncho to wear on the boat. If you make your way to Canada, don’t miss seeing Niagara Falls.
There are so many things to do in Niagara Falls, the Hornblower is just the tip of the iceberg. Check out our full round-up of Our Favourite Things to do in Niagara Falls – Plus Where to Eat & Where to Stay
And these are our most amazing bucket list travels on earth. We’ve been lucky to be able to see and do all of these bucket list adventures in our lifetime. As I went through this list, I cannot believe that we have experienced each and every one of these. It all started by creating a dream list a decade ago, and now we have achieved travels beyond our wildest imagination. We can’t wait to add more when we can travel again.
- 50 Most Beautiful Places in the World to Visit – That We’ve Been
- Beautiful Isolated Places on Earth – In Photos
- 31 Most Beautiful Cities in Europe
- 16 of the Best Cities in Spain – Beautiful Places to Visit Right Now
- How to Travel Around the World – The Ultimate Travel Resource