Harnessing the Potential of Knowledge Sharing

Travel and Re entry to the U.S. While on OPT

Traveling while on OPT or OPT STEM Extension

In general, an F-1 student on post-completion OPT may travel outside the United States temporarily and be readmitted to resume F-1 status and employment for the remainder of the period authorized on his or her EAD card. The student must not have exceeded the maximum OPT unemployment or OPT STEM Extension unemployment time.

Please also review all general travel and re-entry information on the main Travel and Re-Entry page.

WARNING: Re-entering the United States in a status other than F-1 (such as a tourist) will invalidate F-1 status and OPT authorization.

DocumentsBefore Completing Academic Program & Before OPT EAD Approval*After Completing Academic Program & Before OPT or STEM EAD Approval*After Completing Program & After OPT or STEM EAD ApprovalValid passport

Valid F-1 visa stamp (if applicable)

See below: “Getting an F-1 Visa Stamp During OPT/STEM” if your visa will be expiring.”

OPT I-20 with a valid travel endorsement signed within 6 months by a BIO Advisor (page 2)

See below “OPT/STEM I-20 Updates & Travel Endorsements”

I-20 should show OPT/STEM is Approved and list current employment

Evidence of continued enrollment (e.g. Enrollment Verification from Cal Central) Evidence of financial support strongly recommended strongly recommended

strongly recommended

salary can be included in your employment verificaiton letter

OPT receipt: I-797 Notice of Action

Job offer letter from employer (for future employers) OR current employment verification letter

OPT- strongly recommended

OPT STEM Extension- required

EAD Card (Employment Authorization Document) See “Travel While OPT or OPT STEM Extension is Pending” below. COVID-19 Travel Requirements: Proof of Testing/Vaccines

*Travel While OPT or OPT STEM Extension is Pending

Travel during the OPT application process is allowed, but not recommended as it poses certain risks. Keep in mind the following:

  • You will need to have someone monitor your mail and let you know if you receive any communications from USCIS.
  • If you receive a Request for Evidence, you will need to respond by a specific deadline, which could be difficult from outside the U.S.
  • For post-completion OPT: If you are denied for OPT while outside the United States after your Program Completion Date, you will not be able to re-enter or reapply. Your F-1 status will end.
  • For OPT STEM Extension: If you are denied for OPT STEM Extension while outside the United States after your OPT EAD end date, you will not be able to re-enter or reapply. Your F-1 status will end.
  • If you are approved for OPT/STEM while outside the United States, you will need to arrange for your EAD card to be sent to you in order to re-enter the United States.
  • If your F-1 visa is expired, you will need to reapply for an F-1 visa with your EAD card and proof of employment.
  • If you choose to travel while your application is pending, be sure that you are monitoring your mail. Sign up for an account with USCIS Case Status online. Communicate with BIO about your travel plans.

OPT/STEM I-20 Updates & Travel Endorsements

During OPT/STEM the I-20 should be up-to-date with your current informaiton and the travel endorsement is only valid for 6 months of travel.

  • Employer Updates: If your OPT or STEM OPT is Approved, your I-20 should reflect the approval and your current employer on page 2. Follow instructions on the OPT Reporting page to log into the SSU Hub to upload your approved EAD card and to add any new employment. You’ll receive a new I-20 via email in 5 business days with the new employer.
  • Travel Endorsement: To receive an updated travel signature, follow the instructions on our Travel & Re-entry page.
  • Replacement I-20: If you need a new OPT or STEM I-20, you can submit a Replacement Document request (#13) to receive a new I-20 with a new travel endorsement. (Note: BIO has a 5 business day processing time! F-1’s may receive I-20s via email.

Getting an F-1 Visa Stamp During OPT/STEM

If a student’s F-1 visa has expired and the student wishes to travel outside the United States, a new F-1 visa must be obtained before re-entering the United States. Students who need to apply for a new visa should consult BIO prior to travel to discuss the visa application process and possible risks. General Visa information can be found on the Applying for a Visa webpage. If your F-1 visa has expired, and OPT or OPT STEM Extension application is pending, you will NOT be able to apply for a new F-1 visa until the application is approved and you have the EAD.

If You Are on OPT & Have a Pending or Approved H-1B or OPT Cap-Gap I-20

Please first check with your employer and the legal counsel processing your H-1B about your travel plans. Berkeley International Office can only advise you on travel as an F-1, but we cannot advise on how your travel might impact a pending or future H-1B request. Students travelling using an OPT Cap-Gap I-20 should see the H-1B Cap Gap page for more information.

trvlldrs Company Inc

Address: Apt. 558 5356 Beahan Meadows, Port Jeffry, LA 46077-9923

Phone: +423 (583) 204-6612 x91296

Website: https://trvlldrs.com

Facebook: https://facebook.com/trvlldrscom

Twitter: @trvlldrscom

Copyright © 2023 | Design by Trvlldrs